There are many options for depression treatment. However, choosing the best resource for your needs can be difficult. The best treatment centers combine effective approaches with programs customized for each client’s needs.
Understanding exactly where the symptoms of a substance use disorder stop and where co-occurring mental health conditions like depression begin requires the help of a qualified mental health expert.
Depression is a common co-occurring condition with substance or alcohol addiction. It is the leading cause of disability worldwide. The causes of depression are complex and include biological, psychological, and social factors.
Symptoms can range from mild to debilitating and may include the following:
- Feeling sad
- Experiencing a loss of interest in activities you once enjoyed
- Changes in appetite — eating more or losing your appetite
- Changes in sleep habits
- Difficulty thinking and concentrating
- Experiencing feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Slowed speech or slowed movements
- Loss of energy
Thoughts of suicide are the most dangerous symptom of depression. If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal ideation, seek depression treatment in California as soon as possible. If it is urgent, call 911 or a suicide hotline.
What to Expect from a Depression Treatment Center in Los Angeles
A qualified depression treatment center in California should offer comprehensive services that treat the whole person, not just the symptoms of a mental illness. It should be dedicated to helping clients create a happier, healthier future and finding value in the world around them.
If depression is a co-occurring disorder accompanied by substance or alcohol addiction, look for a center that also offers evidence-based addiction therapy programs.
Your entry into a depression treatment center in California may begin with a physical examination by a qualified doctor. Lab tests and a complete psychiatric evaluation will follow. After all of the necessary information is gathered, a psychiatrist can offer a diagnosis.
Types of depression that are commonly diagnosed include:
- Major depression, also called major depressive disorder
- Persistent depressive disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Perinatal depression (for women)
After being evaluated, some people learn they have post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). One symptom of PTSD is depression.
What Are the Treatments for Depression?
During depression treatment in Los Angeles, each client’s comprehensive care plan will be created to meet their unique needs. The following options are commonly used to help alleviate symptoms:
- Medication options include:
- Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors
- Anti-anxiety medications
Genetics plays a prominent role in how clients react to antidepressant medication. It may take time, patience, and genetic testing to determine which combination of medications will be most effective.
Depression treatment in California typically includes some or multiple types of therapy. The best approach often combines two or more techniques, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy and group therapy.
Trauma-informed therapy is vital for clients who are survivors of abuse, sexual assault, and other traumatic events, especially when those traumas contribute to addictive behaviors.
Benefits of talk therapy include the following:
- Identifying negative beliefs and replacing them with positive beliefs
- Learning to set realistic goals for your health and life
- Finding constructive methods to cope with everyday problems
- Exploring past experiences and relationships
- Learning how to accept and handle stressful situations or behavior from others
- Regaining a sense of control in your life
- Easing feelings of hopelessness and anger
Other alternative forms of therapy, such as stress management and lifestyle changes, may also be included in your treatment plan.
Virtues Behavioral Health: A Compassionate Treatment Center in California
If you are battling depression and need an innovative depression treatment center in Los Angeles, Virtues Behavioral Health can help. Call us today at 855.579.8599 and learn how to stop depression from ruling your life.